Background on Southbridge Public Schools:
Southbridge Public Schools (SPS) serves approximately 2,200 students in five schools and employs nearly 330 educators and staff. In January 2016, the Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education designated SPS chronically underperforming (Level 5), placing the district in state receivership. The third district to be placed in the Commonwealth’s Level 5 accountability status, this is an exciting time of change and transformation in SPS. On June 24, 2016, a rigorous turnaround plan, which will guide the district’s turnaround efforts for the next three years, was released to the public.
More information about the district’s turnaround efforts can be found here.
POSITION: Special Education Teacher
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
Implement and adapt direct/explicit academic and specially designed instruction across content areas using multi-sensory teaching, differentiated strategies, including use of modified content, methodology, and performance criteria as needed, as well as assistive/educational technology in the classroom, for designated students receiving services in an inclusion setting.
• Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interest, and abilities of the students.
• Collaborate with grade level classroom teachers, other special education teachers, and specialists to provide comprehensive and effective services to assigned students.
• Promote and assist in the implementation of research-based strategies to ensure the transition and generalization of students’ academic and social goals within the regular education environment and throughout the school.
• Assesses student progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals (e.g. behavioral, motor development and communication skills academic needs, vocational abilities, etc.) for purpose of providing feedback to students, parents and administration.
• Serve as contact person for designated caseload, including completion of all associated paperwork (monitoring student performance, writing IEPs/progress reports, etc.), management of the Team process (conducting Annual Reviews, conferencing w/ parents/Team members, etc.), and maintenance of communication between teachers, specialists, families, and any outside providers.
• Utilize appropriate classroom management strategies, including a comprehensive positive behavior intervention system, to ensure a successful and motivating instructional environment within the classroom and throughout the school for designated students.
• Use a multi-disciplinary approach to gather various sources of information for progress monitoring in order to routinely implement data-based decision-making practices to guide instruction and lesson planning.
• Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
• Guides the learning process toward the achievement of established district curriculum goals, establishes and communicates clear
objectives to the students for all lessons, units and projects.
• Prepares for classes assigned, and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor as required by the teachers’ contract.
• Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs of capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
• Strives by instruction and action to implement the district’s philosophy of education, instructional goals and objectives and performance
• Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulations.
• Diagnoses the learning challenges of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of district specialists as required.
• Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
• Follows the Southbridge Public Schools code of conduct for the classroom which is consistent with established administrative policies and develops rules of classroom behavior which are enforced in a fair and just manner.
• Plans and supervises assignments for paraprofessionals, and makes written evaluations as required.
• Maintains an ongoing program of professional growth that satisfies district requirements but also satisfies personal expectations as a professional.
• Takes an active part in the contractually-approved teacher evaluation process, contributing to a mutual agreement concerning the results of that evaluation.
• Attends building and district meetings to promote communication and mutual decision making among the staff; said meetings to be
held during the extended day.
• Attend established traditional school sponsored activities (e.g., Back to School Night, Open House, programs, activities) agreed upon by the building administrator and the faculty consistent with the teachers’ contract.
• Contribute to the decisions made by the district and building regarding budget, facilities, curriculum, and personal well-being.
• Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
• Provide supervision to assigned paraprofessionals.
• Coordinate student and staff schedules to ensure compliance with IEP requirements and the efficient use of resources.
• Consult with staff and administration on instructional/student issues as an active, participatory Team member.
Perform other duties as reasonably required.
QUALIFICATIONS - REQUIRED:
Equal Opportunity Employer
Southbridge Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, gender identity, disability, religion, age, or sexual orientation.
Southbridge Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.
The content you submit, offer, contribute, attach, post, or display (each a “Submission”) will viewed by other users of the service who may or may not be accurately representing who they are or who they represent. Do not include any sensitive data in your submissions. Any submission or any use or reliance on any content or materials posted via the service or obtained by you through the use of the service is at your own risk. “Sensitive data” for purposes of this section means social security or other government-issued identification numbers, medical or health information, account security information, individual financial account information, credit/debit/gift or other payment card information, account passwords, individual credit and income information or any other sensitive personal data as defined under applicable laws.
|Learn more at http://www.schoolspring.com/job?2891210|